Monday, September 11, 2006

Hot Springs Eternal

Our anniversary was the 2nd but we had company in town so we delayed the celebration until this last weekend. After the long summer we've had, the delay seemed almost intollerable, but it was worth the wait!

Friday after work, we headed up to Hot Springs, MT, and spent the weekend at the Symes Hotel. It is a beautiful old place built in 1928. They have somehow managed to maintain the charm and pace of an earlier time. We spent our days soaking in the pools and relaxing. In the evening we dined in their little bistro and were even entertained by a "cowboy blues" trio in the big common room. There was no cover charge, but they did pass the hat (literally) to pay the band.

One interesting thing about the people at the Symes is that they seemed to form a tight-knit community. I got the impression that you don't get "hired" to work there, you get "adopted." There were numerous characters who hung around, from the little old guy who ran the gift shop, to the lady who makes and sells massage stones. They were all interesting to chat with.

I feel much replenished by our weekend away, something that I don't think we could have accomplished by shutting ourselves in at the ranch and telling everyone to stay away. If any of you are considering a visit out here, I'd highly recommend a trip to the hot springs, they are only about 90 minutes from the ranch.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

That looks awesome! I'm glad you two had a chance to get away. This is your fifth anniversary, right? I remember that day (er, weekend) well! Congrats!

Montana Dave said...

Yep, #5. I don't remember that weekend too clearly, just a bunch of significant moments.

Ruth said...

Feels longer than 5 years. I remember most of the weekend very well, but the ceremony and receptions are a blur. I think I'd lost feeling in my head by then!

Glad you had a nice anniversary!

Montana Dave said...

Ruth, alcohol has that effect on lots of people... ;)

Just kidding, one thing I do recall is that the success of that day was due in no small part to the amount of effort you put in. Thanks!