Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Late for Work

I was late for work today, but I didn't oversleep, there was no traffic, and I didn't miss my train. I was late today because we had to load a little colt into the trailer so he could go to the vet. The colt however, had other ideas.

A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that Mariah's baby, Cordova (or Cory) had a goopey eye. That is a technical term which means his eye was draining lots of fluids. Upon closer inspection, his eye was also cloudy, so we whisked him and his mama off to the vet. Cory wasn't halter broke yet, so we were lucky that he hopped right into the trailer behind his mama.

At the vet's office, we found out he had a deep cut right in the middle of his eye, and that, left untreated, the eye would likely rupture and eventually he would lose it. The vet installed a very thin tube in Cory's eyelid and then sewed the eye shut. We've spent the last two weeks squirting medicine into his eye through the tube as often as we could, up to 10x per day. Needless to say, the little guy has had a hard couple of weeks.

This morning, we led mama into the trailer, and Cory decided he'd rather eat frozen grass. We tried to herd him towards mama, but he was very clearly saying "Thanks guys, but I'll pass, the last time I got in there you sewed my eye shut!" So, there was nothing left to do but halter break him in order to lead him into the trailer. About 30 minutes later, we had him on a lead line, though he was clearly not happy about it. With some coaxing and lifting of feet, we got him in the trailer and quickly shut the door.

Then I went to work, late.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

It's never dull around there, is it?