Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I have the power!

At last, our primary generator is working again. Over $400 later, and putting some old parts back on, we have the 15kw propane generator charging the batteries again. There are still a few minor parts that need changing to get it running smoothly, right now it tends to backfire on startup. However, it is only about $20 worth of parts, and I can install them myself.

For the gearheads out there, we had the points and the condenser replaced, and the generator seemed to have good spark, but would not start. The tech suggested a new pressure regulator, which I installed myself, but didn't solve the problem. I checked each component of the fuel delivery and found them in working order. The tech came back out yesterday, and finally got it running by putting our old condenser back on. Evidently the new one was bad, out of the box. We've ordered a new distributor cap and rotor to complete the electrical overhaul, and that should help with the backfiring.

I'm still primarily a software engineer, but each time we get something fixed, I quiz the guy until I understand why it failed. I'm getting to where I almost understand internal combustion engines and how they work.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Yeah! Did you do the happy dance?

Montana Dave said...

No dancing, but I did let out a big sigh.

semicircleofchandra said...

"I'm still primarily a software engineer, but each time we get something fixed, I quiz the guy until I understand why it failed"..

Donot get Mad at me when I ask too many questions....