Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The year is dead, long live the year

New Year's has never really had much meaning for me. It was simply another holiday from work. This year, however, I see the new year in a whole new light. As 2007 was very rough on Christie and I, I see 2008 as an opportunity. This year will be a year of healing for us, a time to get back on our feet and recover from all the shocks of 2007.

What is more, I have the strong feeling that 2008 is going to be a great year for us. For the first time in years we are entering the new year free of debt. Well, there's still the mortgage and the car payment, but everyone has those. I'm talking about unsecured debt, like medical bills and credit cards. For the first time in a long time, none of that is hanging over our heads, and I blessed that we are so fortunate. It was worth the hardship.


In my last post, the glass was definitely half empty. I'm not so manic as to declare it is now half full, let us just say there is water in the glass. It is what it is. Could we have more personal and family emergencies in 2008? Of course. Are we in a better place to handle them when they arise? I think we are.

I wish everyone a safe and gentle 2008.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Yay for debt-free! I hope that 2008 has only peace and gentleness for all of you!

Ruth said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

Montana Dave I've been looking for you! I need insight. My wife and I want to move to Montana. I am retiring from law enforcement and have dealt with my limit of thugs. I hope we can get away from them (or at least most). Montana has always seemed so far away from NC, but now that retirement is near, it seem s a little closer. Is this a bad idea?

Montana Dave said...

BDL,

Montana is still a great place to live, especially if you like elbow room. When contemplating our move from Chicago, we look at Colorado, Washinton, Oregon, and Northern California too. What we found was that all the good places were already full of people. So, we settled in Montana so we could have mountains and some land, without all the crowds.

One thing to keep in mind about Montana is that it is a great place to live, but a lousy place to work. If you are retiring with a pension, you'll be in good shape, but if you need work, Montana has the lowest per-capita annual income of all the lower 48 states.

One of the best things you can do for Montana is to move here, and start a business of your own. Montana benefits when local businesses grow and bring in money from outside of the state.

I hope this helps!