Monday, July 16, 2007

Puncture Wounds

When we decided to move up here, it was quickly apparent that we would need tougher tires. We currently run 10-ply off road tires on our Silverado (most street tires are more like 4-ply). However, even with the added protection, we have had what I would call an extraordinary streak of bad luck.

On the 4th of July, we ran to town to see a movie and grocery shop. While unloading I heard a hissing. A little investigation revealed a 2" nail jammed into the tire. Bummer. Two hours later in the hot sun, I managed to get the tire changed. I did, however, have to RTFM (Read The Manual) GASP!!, to figure out how to get at the spare tire. The next day, Christie took the truck to Les Schwab where they fixed the flat, free of charge (which is their policy)

This last Saturday, we went to town to hang out with Katy, Paul, & the girls. When we went to leave, we realized we had another flat (different tire than last time). It was already late, and I didn't feel like spending another two hours, so we called the roadside-assistance service that came with our warranty. It took them about 45 minutes to get there, and then about 5 minutes to change the tire, including all the paperwork. This time the culprit looked like a small bolt. Fine, we were on our way.

Sunday morning dawned bright and beautiful, I'm sure. I don't actually know because I slept until about 8AM. When I looked outside, I thought I'd parked in a hole, but closer inspection showed another flat tire. What a pickle. We didn't even have a chance to fix the flat from the night before. We only have one spare, so it looks like we're calling for help again.

We waited until this morning to place the call. This time, at least, Les Schwab is open, and we can get the flats fixed right away. However, they are going to have to tow it down there. The automated system called and told us it will take two hours for them to get here. I just feel sorry for the driver that has to come all the way up here. I hope he has plenty of spare tires for his own truck.

No comments: