Monday, June 25, 2007

Destiny's Suprise

The rain had just stopped and the sun was beginning to shine. I was working at my computer (as I do every weekday morning) when I heard horses screeching at each other. I figured it was a turf war over grazing rights (pun intended). When I looked out the window, I realized it was just Destiny shooing the other mares away from her baby. BABY?!?! Destiny didn't have a baby the last time I looked out!

I ran over to the house and woke up Christie. She and I rushed out to the pasture to find Destiny's little girl already up on her feet and trying to nurse. The poor dear was still wet and shivering in the early morning chill. Christie put a lead rope on Destiny and I picked up the baby and carried her to the barn. By the time we got to the gate Michal was there to open it. I deposited the little cutie in the straw and went back to work, leaving Christie and Michal to do all the post-birth stuff.

Since this is not the first time I have had to carry a 100+ lbs. baby to the barn, I now have reason to believe it won't be the last. I'm going to have to try and create a strength training regimen where the weight will periodically struggle and try to get away. If any of you know of something like that, I'll do 6 easy payments of $29.99, otherwise, I'll just have to invent it myself and market it on the home shopping channel.

By the way, for my avid readers, I'm sure you're wondering why this was such a surprise, since we have the Foalert system. Well, chalk this one up to the mysterious ways of Mother Nature, because we didn't think Destiny was due for several weeks. We hadn't implanted her with a Foalert device yet! I guess it is just like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Do you need me to send you a blank copy of my spreadsheet so you can start charting for your horses? It's really quite accurate!

Karen Sanborn said...

Aud's begun work on the goat-a-matic which should meet your strength training needs. Start sending payments now. Call 1-800-GET-GOAT!

Karen Sanborn said...

Or, maybe you should consider marketing yourself as a foal alert system.

Montana Dave said...

Ironically enough, I had to lift Georgia (a goat) into the truck later the same day.

Aud, perhaps you should look into the circuits they use on mechanical bulls. :)

Mary Beth, we thought we had the calendar thing down, 340 days, but what we realized is that you have to know the start date to get the end date right!