Monday, June 18, 2007

New Rule: No Fun Allowed

Summertime is when we have the most visitors to the ranch. We have friends and family visiting almost continuously from May through August. Unfortunately, I still have to work, and since I telecommute, I'm in the middle of everyone else's vacation. Last summer we instituted a new rule, no one was allowed to have any fun in the house between 7AM and 4PM. It actually worked pretty well, because the weather cooperated. Who would want to be indoors when it is sunny and 75 outside?

This year has turned out to be a bigger challenge. We have had a lot more rain, and so all the outside projects get put on hold. It is actually a sore subject with me that people persist in having fun while I'm trying to work (read: not have fun). Needless to say, I am easily distracted these days. Add to this that our summer helper, Michal, arrived this week. She is going to be staying in the house, which means that her bedroom is in my office, or vice-versa, I don't know which.

What we decided to do about this is something I've been wanting to do for some time. We are moving my office over to the apartment above the garage. Over the weekend, I did the hardest part, which was to pull network wiring over there. This was my most ambitious wiring project to date, which involved pulling almost 200' of cat-5 through conduit, under the house, and up through two floors of the house and one floor in the garage. It went pretty well, all things considered. When I put the ends on the cable and plugged in a laptop, it worked the first time!!

That's all the progress we've made on the move so far, I'll keep you posted as my commute gets multiplied by a factor of 10.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

No fun...Sounds like you!

Ruth said...

It's pretty hard to feel sorry for you, since my commute time is still 20 times longer than your new one!