Friday, June 29, 2007

Plumber's Crack

A good friend told me that anytime she embarked on a plumbing project, she ended up making three trips to the hardware store. I scoffed. I thought I'd planned pretty well for our latest adventure. If you recall from Water, Water All Around, we had a broken pipe in the garage. We decided to fix it so Michal could make better use of the apartment.

We turned on the water to the garage, briefly, in order to assess where the pipe was broken. It turned out we would have to replace about 20' of a straight run of pipe. We took inventory and headed to the hardware store. The next evening after work we got started...

Scoffer beware lest the universe decides to teach you a lesson. We are now up to 4 trips to the hardware store, and the run of pipes still leak. Each time we replace a section, we learn that another section leaks. In one location, behind a wall, in a crawlspace only Christie could reach, the pipe had a double split along the entire length. I'm really hoping that we are nearing the end of this little saga, otherwise, I may have to buy stock in Lowes just to recoup some of my losses.

1 comment:

Karen Sanborn said...

Isn't 3 trips the general rule? I believe you've exceeded the maximum.

Hope things "run" smoothly now.

Thanks for the stories!